Portsmouth College has been leading work with a number of partners to develop resources for year 11 students affected by the impact of the Coronavirus. The result is Flying Start Portsmouth which is an impartial website built for young people in Portsmouth to support their transition to post-16 education and training. This goes live on Wednesday 29th April.
Partners include Portsmouth College, Highbury College, Havant and South Downs College, Portsmouth City Council careers advice and progression team and the Southern Universities Network (SUN). The aim is to provide impartial support, information and advice on further education, apprenticeships and future employment options. SUN are hosting the site on the following link: bit.ly/FlyingStartPortsmouth
The site will include:
- Careers – Planning for the future using resources from the Windmills iCan programme
- Developing study skills – using resources provided by the college partners
- Post-16 subject specific resources – being developed by the college partners (to be added on the 7th of May).
- FAQs to answer questions that both young people/parents and carers might have
- Health and Well-being resources
The site is a work in progress and those involved have had to work fast to put it together. They have tried not just to upload useful information but also to give young people activities and resources they can work through to help them prepare for post-16.