Welcome, from the Chair of Governors
Hello and welcome to the Trafalgar School Governor’s Section of the website. I am Matthew Stratton, the elected Chair of Governors at Trafalgar School where I have been a Governor since its conversion to an Academy in 2015, under the sponsorship of the Salterns Academy Trust. I am delighted and honoured to have been re-elected to the position of Chair of the Local Governing Body, which is made up of committed individuals, all determined to establish Trafalgar School as a community of excellence.
The Governing body’s purpose is to ensure that Trafalgar School has a clear vision, ethos and strategic direction that provides a safe, caring and stimulating environment where every child can realise their potential. We also hold the Head teacher and the Senior Leadership Team to account for the educational outcomes of the school each year, as well as oversee the financial performance of the school. The LGB is made up of 11 Governors, and as a group we report to the Salterns Academy Trust.
As Governors, we fully support the Head of Trafalgar School’s aspiration for rapid improvement and we aim to achieve this through an active involvement in the daily life of the school where appropriate and by working closely with the Schools Senior Leadership Team through three core objectives in order to:
- Set challenging aims and objectives with the school and support the school in achieving them.
- Agree policies, priorities and performance targets in order to accomplish these objectives.
- Seek and analyse evidence that these objectives are being achieved and challenge where appropriate.
The immediate focus for the LGB is to translate the improved staffing and infrastructure position into a rapid improvement within our school for the outcomes of all students. Indeed, we will support and demand those outcomes for the benefit of our students and community, putting our motto of ‘Learning today, leading tomorrow’ at the very heart of our business. Therefore, the LBG standing aims will be to:
- Ensure that the students are central to all of our decisions and everything we do.
- Maintain high expectations of the entire school community to support every student in reaching their full potential.
- Drive continuous improvement in all aspects of the school through strong and effective governance.
- Promote a school culture and ethos which provides an education experience of the highest order, in which students excel and improve their life chances.
- Encourage and support the development of employer, community and academic partnerships to ensure that our students are prepared for and understand the many options open to them in the world of further education and/or work.
- Do all that we can to make students, parents, staff and wider stakeholders proud to be associated with Trafalgar School.
- Drive for the required infrastructure improvements to establish a modern school that sets the best possible learning conditions for student success.
The Governors and I look forward to meeting you at the many school events, and encourage all parents to become an active part of the Trafalgar School Community. We will endeavor to include the views of students, teachers, parents and the wider community in our governance work. Therefore, if you have a query, an idea or want to help improve our school, please contact the school and make your views known. In addition you can contact the Chair of Governors through the following email: email@example.com
Your views really do matter!