Our Chair of Governors
My name is Mrs Jo Bennett and I have the pleasure of being elected Chair of Governors to Trafalgar School. My term of office runs from September 2019 to August 2020.
I am a parent of two children attending Trafalgar and have been part of the governing body since 2015.
I am currently Head of Business Relationships, Growth and Support for Portsmouth City Council and as part of this role, I am the lead for Portsmouth Youth Service which provides an open access youth service for children within the city. A number of the children accessing this service attend Trafalgar School.
My aim is to support Mrs Copeland and the community of Trafalgar School to provide the very best education and opportunities for its pupils. My passion is to help young people to achieve positive outcomes.
The Governing body’s purpose is to ensure that Trafalgar School has a clear vision, ethos and strategic direction that provides a safe, caring and stimulating environment where every child can realise their potential. We also hold the Headteacher and the Senior Leadership Team to account for the educational outcomes of the school each year, as well as oversee the financial performance of the school. The LGB is made up of 11 Governors, and as a group we report to the Salterns Academy Trust.
As Governors, we fully support the Head of Trafalgar School’s aspiration for rapid improvement and we aim to achieve this through an active involvement in the daily life of the school where appropriate and by working closely with the Schools Senior Leadership Team through three core objectives in order to:
- Set challenging aims and objectives with the school and support the school in achieving them.
- Agree policies, priorities and performance targets in order to accomplish these objectives.
- Seek and analyse evidence that these objectives are being achieved and challenge where appropriate.
The immediate focus for the LGB is to translate the improved staffing and infrastructure position into a rapid improvement within our school for the outcomes of all students. Indeed, we will support and demand those outcomes for the benefit of our students and community, putting our motto of ‘Learning today, leading tomorrow’ at the very heart of our business. Therefore, the LBG standing aims will be to:
- Ensure that the students are central to all of our decisions and everything we do.
- Maintain high expectations of the entire school community to support every student in reaching their full potential.
- Drive continuous improvement in all aspects of the school through strong and effective governance.
- Promote a school culture and ethos which provides an education experience of the highest order, in which students excel and improve their life chances.
- Encourage and support the development of employer, community and academic partnerships to ensure that our students are prepared for and understand the many options open to them in the world of further education and/or work.
- Do all that we can to make students, parents, staff and wider stakeholders proud to be associated with Trafalgar School.
- Drive for the required infrastructure improvements to establish a modern school that sets the best possible learning conditions for student success.
The Governors and I look forward to meeting you at the many school events, and encourage all parents to become an active part of the Trafalgar School Community. We will endeavour to include the views of students, teachers, parents and the wider community in our governance work. Therefore, if you have a query, an idea or want to help improve our school, please contact the school and make your views known. In addition you can contact the Chair of Governors through the following email: ChairofGovernors@trafalgarschool.org.uk
Your views really do matter!